The new Meteor Garden - 👍🏻 or 👎🏻

By xiaokhat - September 21, 2018




...aaaand Meteor Garden 2018 ended just like that! After a year of waiting, the remake that awakened everyone’s memories finally came to an end.

I actually had mixed emotions when it was announced on weibo that there will be a remake. Why? Are they running out of ideas? Who will be the characters? No one can ever surpass the 2001 F4!

After sitting in my drafts for almost a month, I can finally share with everyone my thoughts on the new Meteor Garden. Is it a flip or a flop? Let's find out!






👍🏻 The new F4
I love how the new F4's image has been dignified. There's practically nothing to hate about them - they are Bridge masters, they excel in their individual "careers", they are polite towards women. Xi Men's one week rule wasn't even mentioned in the series!




👍🏻 The new Dao Ming Si
I actually have mixed emotions towards Didi as Dao Ming Si. For one, I have always compared him (his acting) to Jerry Yan, which is unfair, so I stopped doing so midway, and after a few episodes, I have started loving Didi ❤️

I'm actually a bit torn between the 2001 and 2018 Dao Ming Si. I love the 2001 bad boy image, the one who only knows how to fight (and is good at it!), versus this 2018 oh-so-perfect type. The 2018 Dao Ming Si isn't that arrogant and self-centered at all. With his achievements, I don't see any reason for Shancai to hate him (except the part when he threw the food to Shancai). The broken phone? Even I myself would dismiss a stranger suddenly showing up with a broken phone claiming I broke it.

Anyway, there were times when I miss the old Dao Ming Si, but there are more things to love to the new Ah Si.




👎🏻 Dong Shan Cai
I did not like this version's Shan Cai ever since in the beginning and even until the end. But before you hate me, here are my reasons why:

- She is too girly to be bad ass. There's nothing wrong with being girly AND bad ass, it's just that Shan Cai was meant to be a simple plain girl who doesn't care about fashion and make up and all sorts of stuff. But this one even bought a skin care product after Teng Tang Jing advised her to do so. Again, nothing wrong with it, it's just that she's not meant to be like that.

- She seemed too weak and too stupid. Remember when she was in London and her purse got stolen? She could get lost, yes (Hello 2002 Barcelona) but not too stupid to be distracted by street performers.

Of course, the new Shan Cai is not someone to hate. There are also other things to love about her - one is her being a chef. I loved that this version has given Shan Cai something to be proud of.

All-in-all, I still prefer the old Shan Cai. Shen Yue's a fresh face still, and given the pressure of doing a remake, she did really well. It's just that this version of Shan Cai is not my cup of tea.






👍🏻 Xi Men Yan
I wonder why he was called Xi Men by his friends... Shouldn't they call him Men Yan or Yan Yan? Ah Yan?

Anyway, I love Xi Men this time because he is a complete gentleman. He was that kind of gentleman that I don't even understand where Shan Cai even got that dislike for him as Xiao You's boyfriend.

I did miss the old Xi Men with his one week expiration date when dating girls. However, I love this Xi Men more. ❤️


© bluemallowz

👍🏻 Xiao You ✕ Xi Men 
I love that they gave these two a happy ending. My heart was ready to break as they went on their separate ways on the original MG.

Allow me to appreciate the new Xiao You as well. She's brave. She's strong enough to help Xi Men reunite with his first love, something that the original Xiao You wasn't able to do. She can't even stay for Xi Men. So, I'm really thankful that the new MG gave these two a happy ending.




👎🏻 Mei Zuo ✕ Cai Na 
I hate it! Those three long episodes are worth skipping. I hate her for making Mei Zuo wait for nothing. Paasa! Her story should have ended at the cooking show.




👎🏻 Lei ✕ Jing
If they were able to make that Cai Na storyline long, they should have extended Jing's story as well! Let the audience understand Jing better. Why she dated the French guy? Why not Lei? So many questions!




👎🏻 The flashbacks!
Too much flashbacks most especially on the last episodes that there was one time that I skipped half an episode. Sayang ang airtime!


🤦🏻‍♀️

👎🏻 Product placement
From their phones (Vivo) to snacks, to online shopping apps, to online streaming channels (Tencent), to shampoos (Clear) and a lot more, parts of some episodes actually appear to be a lot more like a commercial than the show itself.




👍🏻 Dao Ming Feng
I can't believe I'm saying this. I like Ah Si's mom! This version has justified why she doesn't like Shan Cai. It wasn't simply because she's a commoner. It was more because she worries Ah Si not being able to handle responsibilities the Dao Ming Group would require him, which was what Ah Si assured his mom.


When she was told her name sounds familiar

👍🏻 References to the old MG
I just like it that they reference to the old MG a lot. It's like a nod to the classic~




👍🏻 The story itself
I love this version! A lot of other stories were added most especially after F4's graduation. I love that fans got the happy ending they wanted. The catch is, because the ending was that good, I doubt there will be a part 2.


All-in-all, I love this version. If it wasn't for the unnecessary side stories, unnecessary flashbacks, this would have been perfect. I have a lot of other things to say, like the use of tech an social media, the clothes (don't get me started...), Shancai's friends (Qing He, Li Zhen), the OST! I could go on and on and on…

What about you? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Spam messages/advertisements will be automatically deleted.