惡作劇之吻 - which is better?

By xiaokhat - June 19, 2017




I think it is already no secret that It Started with a Kiss is my all-time favorite drama. So when a remake was announced, I was skeptical about it. For me, no series could kick ISWAK out that special place in my heart. The first time I saw the teaser, I disliked it. First impressions: the male lead is too cold, the female lead looks more stupid. I did not watch it. I didn't hear/see any news about it either.

Anyway, it was the opening song that I listened to on Spotify that forced me to give Miss in Kiss a try. The song is really cute. The lyrics were obviously written for the series. The song was performed by the lead actors also, which made it more special.

If the number of episodes overwhelm you, you are not alone. I initially thought it was long because they included some parts from They Kiss Again. I was wrong. Each episode is around 30 minutes long. It feels too quick to finish. Bitin!

As I was watching it episode per episode, I couldn't help but compare Miss in Kiss with It Started with a Kiss.

Read my thoughts after the jump!


袁湘琴 vs 向月琴

I really don't understand why they have to change from Yuan Xiang Qin to Xiang Yue Qin. Yuan Xiang Qin is my spirit animal. I have always admired her never give up attitude. Comparing their looks, Yue Qin is way prettier than Xiang Qin but she looks dumber. Her facial expressions made her look like she popped out of the manga. Esther Wu's acting was stiff most especially on the first episodes but it improved on later episodes. 👍

If you were to ask me though who I love the most, it's still Yuan Xiang Qin. She's classic. Yue Qin is stupid in school, but she's not as stupid as expected. I mean, she can still get her brain working as seen in a few episodes. Xiang Qin, on the other hand, is plainly stupid.

Rating*: ⭐⭐

江直樹 vs 江植樹

Dino! ❤

No offence meant, but I still haven't accepted Dino as Zhi Shu. He looks cold, yes, but he's so cold that he looks lifeless. This new Zhi Shu is meaner yet more considerate towards Yue Qin, and I loved Dino for that ❤

It's hard to choose between them though! When it comes to looks, Joe is already a step ahead. I will always be Joe-biased, but Dino showed me a different side of Zhi Shu that he made me fall in love with the character more. Can I call it a tie?

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


金元豐 vs 金支柱

When I learned about this remake, I was worried who will play Ah Jin. At least he should be at par with the monkey-like Jiro, most especially with the looks. Gong Yi Teng did not fail me. He could not be as handsome as Jiro, but in most of the scenes, his facial expressions and actions are really Jiro-like! I love how MIK gave Ah Jin justice. He may be stupid in class, but he excels in something else. He's a cooking genius and excels in swimming. He even has his own fans club! He may not have ended with Yue Qin, he at least is someone who excels in doing what he loves.

No need to ask me. I will definitely choose Jiro for Ah Jin. He's funny, he's equally stupid as Xiang Qin. I love his stupid antics. I love Jiro!!

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

high school graduation photo

The high school graduation in MIK is more grand and more classy compared to the one in ISWAK. Nothing surprising though, since we are in a much modern generation. The ISWAK graduation is more memorable to me though, because of Ah Jin's crazy daydreams, my favorite is him singing. That was the very first time I heard Jiro sing. So, so, so memorable. I like the MIK graduation better though.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐


the first kiss 💋

MIK's first kiss appears to be on the romantic side. The location and the actors' positions say so. ISWAK's, on the other hand, they were in the worst place to kiss. subway? The actors' positions tell thar the kiss was really done mischievously, with no flirting nor feelings involved.

Which kiss do I like better? ISWAK's of course!

Rating: ⭐⭐


the wedding 💒

I have to admit, the wedding in Miss in Kiss is so romantic that I want to have a wedding like that in the future. Zhi Shu was so sweet that he played the piano for Yue Qin. The wedding in ISWAK, on the other hand, is so cute and unique and funny. No wedding scene has been that memorable yet, and I think that's a plus point. It could not be the standard, but at least it was a memorable one both for the viewers, fans, and the actors themselves.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐



There are so many things I wanted to compare, like the first date, the second kiss, the under-the-rain kiss, but my thoughts are all over the place!

The remake is not that bad. They sprinkled in other stuff that are not in the 2005 drama that made the 2016 version more modern and better. I don't hate them for that. It was still fun to watch. Watching it made me miss the feeling of innocent love. You know, those small things that makes your heart 砰砰砰, those silly little things that you appreciate and makes you love him more. Sigh~ If only I could turn back time.

One thing that is lacking from the 2016 version though is the chemistry. Ariel and Joe's chemistry in the 2005 version is so good off and on the cam that it warranted a sequel and another drama, even until now! There was even a point of time in my life when I wished they were real. Dino and Esther look good on screen, it's just that you know and it's too obvious that they were just acting. They played their characters well, maybe they're just not really meant to be paired with each other.

Verdict:
My heart still goes to the 2005 version, It Started with a Kiss. Nothing could really replace it in my heart ❤

Miss in Kiss rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

*Ratings are for Miss in Kiss 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi! Do you happen to know the filming locations of ISWAK/TKA the 2005 version? I'm actually traveling to Taiwan this December and I would love to visit those places!

    ReplyDelete

Spam messages/advertisements will be automatically deleted.